Complete Guide to Popular Bathroom Styles
Written by Trine B., Images created by Vintage Plan and More.
Are you considering a bathroom remodel but you’re not quite sure what style to go for? Look no further, we have put together a comprehensive guide of various bathroom styles covering every style from modern to eclectic.
Read on to get inspiration, discover must-have elements for each style, and maybe the creative nudge you need to get started on the bathroom of your dreams.
Popular Bathroom Styles with Photos
1. Contemporary bathroom style
2. Traditional bathroom style
3. Transitional bathroom style
4. Industrial bathroom style
5. Scandinavian bathroom style
6. Modern bathroom style
7. Beach bathroom style
8. Boho-Chic bathroom style
9. Mediterranean bathroom style
10. Tropical bathroom style
11. Zen bathroom style
12. Eclectic bathroom style
13. Mid-Century bathroom style
14. Rustic bathroom style
15. Farmhouse bathroom style
16. Victorian bathroom style
17. Shabby-Chic bathroom style
18. Southwestern bathroom style
19. Craftsman bathroom style
Contemporary Bathroom Style
A contemporary style bathroom must include the newest technology and trends. The color scheme varies from sophisticated neutrals to high-contrast color combinations such as black and white. To achieve the look of a contemporary bathroom, use furniture and vanities that create straight lines and finish it off with high-quality pulls and doorknobs.
Key Elements of a Contemporary Style Bathroom:
- Open space and clean lines
- Clutter free
- Freestanding tub and minimalist hardware
- The latest technology
- Light and dark elements – creating a visual contrast
Traditional Bathroom Style
The traditional bathroom style is elegant and classic. It is crucial to invest in top-quality materials and finishes. Dress the walls with gorgeous moulding or decorative wallpaper, and antique-style lighting fixtures. To really pull off a traditional style bathroom, make sure to include a dressing table.
Key Elements of a Traditional Style Bathroom:
- Elegant materials and treatments
- Chandeliers and wall lighting with shades
- Claw-foot tub
- Pale shades of blue and green
- Vintage roman shades or curtain type window coverings
Transitional Bathroom Style
The transitional style is a harmonious combination of traditional and contemporary styles, not leaning too far in either direction. Mix the clean lines of a contemporary bathroom together with the warmth and elegance of the traditional style.
Key Elements of a Transitional Style Bathroom:
- Streamlined lighting and mirrors
- Freestanding bathtub (pedestal bathtub)
- Glass shower enclosure
- Blue, brown, gray, rich wood tones
- Sleek hardware
Industrial Bathroom Style
An industrial-style bathroom is raw in its use of materials and accessories. Don’t be afraid of exposed pipes and ceilings, they are a must. Materials such as steel, brick, and concrete are great choices for industrial bathroom design.
Key Elements of a Industrial Style Bathroom:
- White subway tile with dark grout
- Exposed pipes etc.
- Framed glass and steel shower enclosure
- Massive sliding door
- Occasional pop of saturated color
Scandinavian Bathroom Style
The Scandinavian style is known for its laid-back, simple aesthetic. Use a neutral color palette and focus on horizontal lines. Keep towels and personal accents in baskets or on a wooden stool. The Scandinavian design includes a sense of utility with an elegant twist.
Key Elements of a Scandinavian Style Bathroom:
- Straight lines
- Simple, casual aesthetic
- Light hues and neutral colors
- Personal accents
- Elegance and functionality
Modern Bathroom Style
It is common to confuse modern style with contemporary style. We are here to help you distinguish the difference.
While contemporary bathroom style refers to the new, the here and now, the modern bathroom style is from an era that has passed. Ranging from the early to mid-1900s.
Key Elements of a Modern Style Bathroom:
- Streamlined mirrors and lighting
- Geometric shapes
- Quality materials
- Chrome accents
- Focus on architecture rather than color
Beach Bathroom Style
Bring in bright beachy colors and add natural materials to create a beach bathroom style. Add details such as shutters, shiplap, and weaved pendants. Now all you need is a spacious shower complemented with some fringed linen towels and your beach bathroom is complete.
Key Elements of a Beach Style Bathroom:
- Natural materials, wood, rattan, blinds, etc.
- Sand/sky/sea shades
- Statement wallpaper or bold tiles
- Weaved pendants, baskets and straw hampers
- Tropical and leafy greens
Boho-Chic Bathroom Style
The boho-chic style may be the ultimate trend right now. Mix the use of natural colors, complemented by earthy accents and you’ve got yourself a winner. Decorate with interesting items that you have collected from your travels around the world. Embrace the carefree and add plenty of plants and textures.
Key Elements of a Boho-Chic Style Bathroom:
- Bright and natural colors
- Weaved baskets and rugs
- Earthy accents
- Linen towels and kilim
- Feather, straw and driftwood
Mediterranean Bathroom Style
The exotic Mediterranean bathroom style can be achieved with the use of intricate tile patterns and statement mirrors. It should be elegant and earthy. Use rich warm hues together with various wood types and burnished metals.
Key Elements of a Mediterranean Style Bathroom:
- European aesthetic combined with Grecian elements
- Arched windows and walls
- Colorful and intricate tile/mosaic
- Azure, cobalt, turquoise, cerulean colors
- Whitewashed walls
Tropical Bathroom Style
Nothing gives you the feeling of being on holiday like a tropical bathroom design. Include a lot of green plants and add luscious wallpaper patterns. Let in plenty of light to create an airy and relaxed feeling. Now all you need is a gorgeous waterfall shower.
Key Elements of a Tropical Style Bathroom:
- Polished concrete surfaces
- Exotic woods
- Plenty of light – airy
- Waterfall shower
- Lush, green plants
Zen Bathroom Style
Incorporate natural materials seamlessly into the design to create a zen style bathroom. The color palette is neutral, black, white, brown, and beige. Accents like pebbles, sand, and water create a feeling of serenity.
Key Elements of a Zen Style Bathroom:
- Natural accents, pebbles, sand, water
- Open space, light and airy
- Green plants
- Matte tiles or rough-hewn stone
- Darm, warm wood
Eclectic Bathroom Style
The eclectic style combines a variety of styles and unifies the look with well-thought-out colors, textures, and finishes. In an eclectic style bathroom, you will find carefully selected items effortlessly put together.
Key Elements of a Eclectic Style Bathroom:
- Mix of textures, materials and finishes
- Unusual color choices
- Cool and laid back
- Old mixed with new
- Carefully curated items with sentimental value
Mid-Century Bathroom Style
A mid-century bathroom style includes fun colors and kitschy details. Clean lines and geometric shapes are essential to get the right look. Incorporate minimal ornamentation and high functionality and you’ll get the timeless appeal of mid-century design.
Key Elements of a Mid-Century Style Bathroom:
- Vintage cabinetry and furniture
- Geometric shapes
- Kitchy details
- Crisp white with punchy contrasts
- Fun colors
Rustic Bathroom Style
The rustic bathroom style really embraces the natural beauty of the outdoors. To get the rustic bathroom style, have a wooden or wood-look vanity and pair with matching cabinets and details. Lots of wood, hand-crafted at best, combined with other durable materials give the design that rugged, yet simplistic look. Depending on your style, you can lean more contemporary, or go in a more farmhouse or traditional direction.
Key Elements of a Rustic Style Bathroom:
- Natural material and treatments
- Rugged/wooden materials
- Sinks and bathtub made from stone or copper
- Durable materials
- Furniture-style cabinetry
Farmhouse Bathroom Style
To get a bathroom with a farmhouse style, combine a rural heritage, rustic look, and add sleek modern elements. A claw-foot tub and a shaker-style vanity are both features you will find in a farmhouse-style bathroom. This is definitely the bathroom style where you can go all-in on beautiful patterned tiles.
Key Elements of a Farmhouse Style Bathroom:
- Exposed beams and wooden accents
- Vintage handcrafted details
- Sliding barn doors
- Natural and classic color palette
- Casual country cool
Victorian Bathroom Style
The victorian bathroom style is so much fun. You really get the chance to go over the top with gorgeous wallpapers and intricate accessories. Use jewel tones together with gold accents and you’ve got yourself a winner.
Key Elements of a Victorian Style Bathroom:
- Claw-foot tubs
- Decorative hardware
- Ornate rugs and mirrors
- Gold accents
- Floral prints on wallpaper and fabrics
Shabby-Chic Bathroom Style
When mixing roughness and softness together you get the shabby-chic style. Look for a vanity with distressed paint, then soften the design with lace window coverings and flowers. A shabby-chic style bathroom is where you have the opportunity to put many of your favorite pieces. It can be an eclectic collection of sentimental items, just make sure to stay within the romantic, pastel color scheme.
Key Elements of a Shabby-Chic Style Bathroom:
- Lace, flowers and distressed white paint
- Pastels, neutrals, pink and blue
- Vintage items
- Romantic touches like flowers and feminine colors
- Ornate chandeliers
Southwestern Bathroom Style
A southwestern style bathroom brings in Native American and Spanish influences. Mix wood and raw materials, use colors that reflect the desert. Decorate your bathroom with handcrafted items such as baskets or rugs. To contrast with the earthy colors, bring in pops of bright yellow, green, and turquoise.
Key Elements of a Southwestern Style Bathroom:
- Raw materials and organic finishes
- Detailed prints and mixed patterns
- Handcrafted artisanal items
- Dark, warm wood
- Desert shades of brown combined with turquoise, orange, dark red, and bright yellow
Craftsman Bathroom Style
Last on the list we have a craftsman style bathroom. This is a style with a traditional feel, however, the use of darker wood and rich earth tones are more prominent. As the name of the style indicates, the effort should lie in beautifully crafted pieces. Handcrafted tiles, build-in vanities, and artful stained glass.
Key Elements of a Craftsman Style Bathroom:
- Durable, practical, functional
- Medium to dark wood tones
- Artisanal furniture
- Rich earth tones and warm neutrals
- Handcrafted tile
Get started on your bathroom remodel today
The 3D Photos in this post were created with the RoomSketcher App.